Monday, July 9, 2007

theory and practice

As a farmer, I face this issue on a daily basis. I am sure most readers would have confronted this issue too. I am new to farming and am keen on learning the most productive and cost effective ways of growing, harvesting and transporting as I only have mastered marketing my products. This vocation currently contributes 100% of my livelihood and I cannot afford to waste time and money making mistakes.

I get advice from the Agricultural advisers on how to optimally grow some crops, then I get advice from farmers, and at times I do not know whom to believe, as some of the suggestions are diametrically opposite. I am also advised to use my gut instincts and carry on using the most logical path.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. The agricultural experts sometimes don't have any practical knowledge and the farmers have not experimented with new techniques only following their old ways. I am in the middle trying to see the wood from the trees!!

I don't have an answer to this problem and take the route of least resistance, namely that of trying it out in a small way and see what works and then try and improve on this for the next season. This is the approach I took to paddy cultivation.

No comments: